Friday, February 19, 2010

Fourth Post (stuff)

So, I was fairly stoned last night, and I decided to glance at my blog. To my surprise, I felt as if I was reading a completely different person's writing and expression. This was interesting because it was the first time I had actually read my blog objectively, as every other time I had only read it to check for errors. Why was there this discrepancy between how I write and how I think? There's always been a difference between how I see myself and how I believe others see me, and while I think that is true for most people, I was never aware of it more than at that moment. This little insight reminded me of a quote by philosopher William James; "Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is." This made me wonder which perspective should be considered the most "correct" one. Since the viewpoint of "each man as he really is" is not experienced by either party, what proof is there of the existence of such a self to begin with? Or is the "real" person the overlap between the two different beliefs held by each person? No, that couldn't be right otherwise what is "real" would change with every meeting. So perhaps the "real" is invented only to explain the varying mindsets, as if each perspective could only exist as a shadow of the template that is the "real". I thought this all within a few moments and then quickly proceeded to forget it, probably because I was still quite high (besides, Futurama was on).

That aside, I've had a pretty weird week. Between hanging with my friends during reading week, my roommate's paranoid, borderline schizophrenic, fantasies that I am messing with his life, and my laptop getting busted, I got absolutely no work done. Not that I would've gotten any work done anyways. In fact, I actually began writing this entry as a way to procrastinate studying for my psych test even further (its been working so far). That's all I got for now internet, see you later.

-Murday

PS. This is kinda cool (and also proof of fate)
Daft Punk song to 1920s dance craze (The Charleston)

No comments:

Post a Comment