Saturday, April 3, 2010

10th Post (whoop de whoop)

What's up guys? I know I said I was going to keep up with my blog more often but... I totally lied. I've been completely swamped with schoolwork and with exams coming around the corner I just haven't had a second to myself (that's a lie). Also being lazy and partying too much can't have helped. The point is I'm writing now, so enjoy :).

I'm going to start by linking to an incredible essay by Kurt Vonnegut. Kurt Vonnegut is, in my opinion, a very talented writer and a really cool dude. He is known for his lightning fast wit and just generally being awesome. This essay deals with how humans give value to literature. I've always known that War and Peace holds a little more juice than Captain Underpants, but the exact reasons why have always seemed unclear. To have a seasoned writer like Kurt give his point of view on the subject is fascinating. If you don't want to bother reading the entire thing here's his conclusion; it sums up his point nicely and tells you all you need to know.

But there’s a reason we recognize Hamlet as a masterpiece: it’s that Shakespeare told us the truth, and people so rarely tell us the truth in this rise and fall here [indicates blackboard]. The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.

And if I die—God forbid—I would like to go to heaven to ask somebody in charge up there, “Hey, what was the good news and what was the bad news?”

I saw another very interesting article about a sort of open forum which involved several writers answering questions from the audience and debating among themselves. This took place near the end of Vonnegut's life and the picture above illustrates his unusually blunt answer to a girl who was asking for some sage advice from a man who's seen it all. Warning: It's a long read.

Okay, on another note, I present to you some of the greatest lines to ever to grace our unworthy television screens. I was surprised by just how entertaining and engaging 10 minutes of Arnie's shenanigans were.


I wrote about chatroulette once before, and it seems as if gold keep pouring out of this wonderfully perverse invention. Here are some pictures of a complete brat being an asshole to people. Hilarious.

Okay that's all for now, next time I'm going to write about Aldous Huxley's death, so stick around, you might learn something.

PS This is funny.

Transcript: Yo-Hemphead! Look what you washed by not checking your pockets! Lets hope the seal was tight enough not to let much water in! May I suggest you lay it out somewhere safe to dry! Love, mom :). P.S. Where's my clear tape?

No comments:

Post a Comment