Friday, March 12, 2010

Ninth Post (late night ramblings)

A few days ago I had a sobering experience that reminded me just how quickly a good day can turn into a bad day. One moment everything is going your way and within seconds your mind is fraught with fear and anxiety, completely forgetting the safe feeling of security you just possessed. It makes me wonder about the validity of things that you feel. How real are they if they can be overturned and forgotten in mere seconds. Anyways, it's been a while since I've had an experience like that, and since I've been having terrible luck ever since.

The picture up top is a funny interpretation of the free will/determinism issue, and has absolutely nothing to do with anything I was saying earlier. I just found it amusing. (FYI Wikipedia has an excellent entry on free will if anybody is as crazy as me and likes to read that kind of stuff.)

The picture on the left is interesting to me because this seems like exactly what happened. To anyone unfamiliar, Sisyphus was a dude who stirred up some shit and got punished by the gods. They gave him the task of rolling a boulder up a hill and then they'd push it down so he would have to start over again (not sure what he did but that punishment is pretty hilarious). So basically, a Sisyphean task is one that is impossible.

A lot of people have been saying that Obama has not done anything yet, to which I reply with the following graph. Now, I don't really like discussing political issues, but every once in a while something worth mentioning comes up.
I'd like to end this blog with a video interview of one of the coolest thinkers of our time. Richard Feynman is a physicist who worked on the Manhattan Project, and is amazing at explaining complicated concepts in simple everyday terms. Here is one that particularly caught my attention because he was basically unable to explain magnets and the magnetic force, and he gives a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why.



Okay that's all I have for now, its 3:30am and I want to sleep. Peace out internet.

PS. This is kinda cool
Onion News Story: Some Bullshit Happening Somewhere

No comments:

Post a Comment